Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Reasons for the Blog

For a few years I have maintained a Yahoo-Group for descendants of soldiers, who served in the Thirteenth Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment of the Civil War. The group is also open to researchers interested in the unit. The group was designed to share research, and was by invitation only.

Since 2008 I have been building a website dedicated to the history of this unit. It is a continuous project with new pages being added about every month and a half. The website grew out of my initial plan to publish a book; an anthology of letters & personal reminiscences by men who served in the regiment. Collectively these stories told the history of the regiment in the soldiers own words.

The book is still a goal, but preserving the deeds of the men seemed more important than personal gain. This blog is a format for me to share my research, observations and comments, with a broader audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment